Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Proud Day to Be an American!

Yesterday was the first time in a very long time that I can say that I was proud to be an American. Let's start from the beginning:

For the past week or so I have been sick (and in the last few days especially I have been very sick). Yesterday I was not feeling so hot either, but I woke up feeling happy and optimistic, as I knew that it would be the day that Barack Obama would be inaugurated. Even though I wasn't feeling well, I dragged myself to my one class of the day and then to a weekly meeting with my program adviser and all of the students who applied to NUI Galway through API as I did.

When I got there (coughing like crazy and desperately longing for the comfort of my room), Finn (my adviser) was completely pumped about the elections! She is an Irish citizen and has no ties whatsoever to the states, but she was insanely excited! She was even encouraging people to skip their classes to watch this historical event (and she's a professor at the college)! This excitement that I witnessed in her was only a preview of what was to come.

After the meeting, a big group of us went into town to a pub called The King's Head. We had noticed earlier in the week that they were having an inauguration event there. This pub was absolutely packed with people and every television was airing the event. There was even a large screen set up specially with the inauguration projected on the screen. There was a special menu of American foods (such as mac and cheese, burgers, hot dogs, and blueberry pie) and even American-themed drinks. There was even a big American flag on the wall!

We walked upstairs and heard someone exclaim with enthusiasm "Are you American? I heard your accents!" We have recieved greetings like this in the past, however in the past, the comment did not have such a positive, congradulatory connotation. People were actually excited for the Americans!It was said while I was in the United States that Barack Obama, as our first black president, was going to have a positive impact on the world's attitude about the United States. I was a firm believer that this was going to be true, but I feel that I am fortunate to be experiencing it first-hand.

The inauguration of a historical President such as Obama made me want to be home to witness it in my own country as an American citizen, but once the event began, I felt just as much energy around me in that pub that I would have felt if I were at home. I was surrounded by both Irish and American citizens who all cared equally about what was occurring in Washington D.C. During Obama's speech, the place went crazy with cheering and applause (almost as if we were in Washington D.C. and America could hear our cheers). I could not stop smiling! To add to the excitement (and to document it), there were reporters and photographers going around interviewing and photographing people for articles in various Irish Newspapers (yes, I was interviewed! I'll post the article if I make it in!).

Following the inauguration, as we were walking down the street, we were stopped by an old Irish man. He proceeded to tell us how much he loved John F. Kennedy and how Kennedy was Irish. He continued to tell us how to trace Obama's roots back to the Irish. Unfortunately for Obama, he said, his roots trace back to Northern Ireland. (I will talk more about the conflicted view of the Irish state and Northern Ireland at a later time. Just keep in mind for now that they do not get along so well.) The old man reassured us, however, that even though Obama has relatives in the North, he is a great man and will do a lot of good for America and the world. As we walked away, he congratulated us and proudly and officially proclaimed the day "Obama Day!!"

I have to say (especially to all of my Brockton students) that yesterday was truly a historic day. It was a day that changed the face of America, and one that will improve the world's view of our country. In addition to that, it was a HUGE day for most of you! It is absolutely wonderful to see a black man (or any minority for that matter) in the highest office of the United States. Not only was this a significant day in the country's history, but an extremely significant day for any person or group of people who have ever been oppressed. All of you should be so proud. I know that I am finally proud to call The United States of America my home.

(Coming soon: A tour of Galway, A trip to Connemara, and A trip to the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren)


No comments:

Post a Comment